Sunday, August 24, 2008

Roses, Cemeteries and Gorges, Oh my!

So today we went to lunch with Carl & Elaine (Nancy's Grandma's niece and her niece's son...confusing) and then we went driving around Norwich, CT. We went to the house that her grandma used to live in and where her dad and aunt grew up. It was built about a billion years ago, but it still looked really nice. We also went to where her grandma was buried. I actually walked ina cemetery. Like...walked around the graves to look at all of them. I think this is different than ones that I have been to in the past because the graves are mainly from the 1800s and such. Then we went to a park ....I think the Mohegan reservation something or other? But there was a rose garden and then some really pretty trees and then we went to Indian's Leap. Its a really pretty gorge-like thing with a bridge and such. The guy that was standing on the bridge lived at the house overlooking it. I was kinda jealous. He has a sweet view. After, I had the choice between seeing an old covered bridge or going to one of the oldest cemeteries in Norwichtown and I chose the cemetery. Weird, right? Anyway, you can barely read the gravestones there. One said at the bottom "Death is a debt to nature due, we have paid and so will you." Kinda bitter. But its the one that I am pictured with. You might be able to see it if you enlarge it. There was a bunch of babies buried there...lots of toddlers and younger. I'm just surprised that I went trompsing through and effing graveyard in my damn flipflops. One small step for mankind, one HUGE step for Mallory.




Anyway, we ended the evening with delicious ice cream and some romantic comedies. Delightful. Tomorrow we are going to Sturbridge Village (an old place that is still like a working colony) and then going to Massachusetts to head to Cape Cod. Wee!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks beautiful, and man that is a HUGH step for you.
Mom :)

Christina said...

Looks like you and Nancy are having a blast! I never knew going to cemetaries could be such fun.