Thursday, August 28, 2008

Encountering the Atlantic!


Mr. Bacon in the AtlanticPlymouth Rock is small and caged.I don't fit on the Mayflower.Still don'tPuritans lived a shitty life but they had a great view!
Downtown Provincetown, MassachusettsLighthouse on the Cape
Nancy and I sitting on the observation deck by the lighthouse. Nancy beat me down the cliff.
Down the cliff of Cliff Walk Newport, RI
Firestation in Jamestown
Playing in the water by a lighthouse in Jamestown
We've been quite busy the last few days. On Tuesday we headed up to Cape Cod. Along the way, we went to Plymouth Rock, The Mayflower II and Plymouth Village. Plymouth rock is interesting. You would think that for being such a famous rock, it would be large. But, its only about 5 feet long and its in a cage. Well right now it is a rock in cage, under scaffolding. behind plexiglass. You can barely see the thing unless you hike down to the shore and then look from there. After seeing this famous stone, we went to climb aboard the Mayflower II. It's not the orginal (obviously) but its replica that was built and sailed in 1957 [hey mom, you're as old as the mayflower!]. There was an attractive pilgrim aboard the mayflower and a really clever one down below deck. Let it be known that I would be one unhappy person if I were sailing on the mayflower because I couldn't stand up below deck. After the mayflower it was only natural that we should head to Plymouth Village and see where the pilgrims lived. The village was a lot like Sturbridge, but set in the 1700s instead of the 1800s. We got to see more people in this village. First, you go to a wompanoag villege and see real life Native Americans performing daily tasks that would have happened at the time. They were cooking and building and such. Then, you walk forever to the pilgrim village and see their houses. There were people there talking about their lives and some of the visitors were being super ignorant and asking them stupid questions. It was kind of annoying, but I liked the experience. After, you could go to a crafts area and see all of the "products" being made. After the village, I was pretty tired and hot. We headed to our hotel in Falmouth, Massachusetts next. The hotel was really cute. We had a balcony that looked out over the harbor and the room had a kitchenette. It would be a cute studio apartment. We found a place to eat dinner (the British Beer Company) and headed out. I got a delicious wrap called The Fireman's Favorite or something. It had thinly sliced steak, blue cheese and grilled onions all wrapped in a wheat tortilla. So good! After dinner, we all went backt o the room and took naps. We got up for ice cream later and then Nancy and I watched TV til really late.

The next morning, we got up to head out to Provincetown, Massachusetts. We were staying in the armpit of the arm of Mass, and Provincetown it on the fist. We walked around for a bit and went in all the shops. Provincetown is a predominantly gay community and so there were fun kid's shirts that said things like "I love my two moms" or "I <3 my dads." We ate at a place called Clem and Ursies. I had a delcious wedge salad and Nancy and I got into a food fight. She somehow dropped part of her bean burger on my foot and I managed to hit her with lettuce and flick blue cheese dressing on her face. Not entirely my fault, I was manuevering a wedge with plastic cutlery. After lunch we walked around for awhile and then headed to a light house. Lighthouses are pretty neat. After going back to the room, we decided we needed snacks, so nancy and I went to Rite Aid to get those and then we relaxed the rest of the evening.

Today we did so much that I don't even know where we were or what we did. We started out in Falmouth and went to a couple shops around there. After, we headed to Newport, Rhode Island to drive down Bellvue Avenue and see the HUGE mansions that the rich from NYC used to Summer in during the 20s. (Think Gatsy-ish) The places are HUGE! After, we went to the Cliff Walk in Newport and climbed down a cliff to the water. It was fun. Then we went to Jamestown Island to see another lighthouse and to walk around some shops. Nancy and I played in the water by the lighthouse a bit. It was cold, but we searched for shells and skipped rocks. After, we went to Warwick to visit Carl and Elaine. We walked to the beach from their cottage and then went to the shops in Warwick. Nancy's Aunt bought us some used books for the flight to London and then I got some new cheap earrings (I lost one of my other cheap ones). We went to Dinner at Gregg's and then headed back to Norwich. Nancy and I ave been preparing for our trek to DC in the morning. We're doing laundry and getting our stuff together now. Should be fun!

No comments: